PGCE in Primary Education
Our PGCE course will prepare you to teach across the Primary phase by introducing you to the skills, strategies and theory behind education in the Primary classroom. You will practise your skills in two of our consortium schools. You will begin by gaining confidence in observing and supporting within the classroom, progressing gradually to take on the role of class teacher, under the watchful eye of your School Based Mentor and Course Leader.
- Tuition sessions for our Primary courses are based at our PGCE facilities at Captain Webb Primary School in Telford and Oakmeadow Primary School in Shrewsbury. During these sessions you will be introduced to topics in relation to teaching Primary Education, practise your skills in Primary classroom delivery and take part in group activities to explore learning and teaching in action.
- You will spend a total of 120 days in two selected consortium schools. These schools will provide you with a good contrast of experience and the opportunity to teach across the across the Primary age range from Foundation Stage, to Key Stage One and into Key Stage Two.
- You will be taught by experienced teachers how to plan and deliver successful lessons, covering a range of teaching and learning strategies.
- During your teaching practice you will build a portfolio of evidence demonstrating your development as a teacher.
- You will follow a personalised programme of skills enhancement to ensure you have the fullest possible subject knowledge to enter the teaching profession.
Benefits of training with the West Midlands Consortium
- We pride ourselves on being a small provider with a big reputation. As a WMC trainee you will be more than a number, you will be a valued member of a select cohort. You will receive one to one support from the course tutor and have good access to expert advice and guidance from the WMC team.
- Group sessions are held in a purposeful school environment, providing you with the experience of a school life from day one whilst learning to teach.
- Thomas Telford School has been at the cutting edge of ICT delivery for many years and provides Primary Education trainees access to self-tuition resources and remote learning software to aid you in your development.
- You will have access to the latest technology to hone your teaching skills, such as hard-state video cameras, Apple Mac laptops etc.
- The course draws upon expertise from our Partner Schools within our consortium to give you the most relevant knowledge and understanding of teaching in today's education system, as well as featuring guest speakers from pertinent external agencies and bodies.
- We have outstanding retention, pass and employment figures due to a dedicated PGCE support network and strong regional reputation.
- The PGCE course is validated by our partner, Staffordshire University, giving you the potential to gain 90 Masters credits as part of your training. You will also be registered as a Staffordshire University student, giving you access to online journals, support, and a full graduation ceremony.
How to apply