PGCE in Physical Education
The Physical Education PGCE course offers graduates an exciting range of experiences and opportunities, essential to the teaching of this subject at secondary school level. The course aims to create confident, self-motivated and innovative teachers who are committed to high-quality Physical Education teaching.
The PE course draws upon an excellent range of materials and facilities from across our partnership of schools. The course includes training in a number of activity areas, such as swimming, dance and healthy active lifestyles, and optional National Governing Body awards. This helps our trainees to gain subject knowledge and accreditation through nationally recognised routes and improve their future career prospects. During training, certain aspects of the course are held in a residential setting.
This course fills very quickly; you are advised to apply early in order to avoid disappointment.
- You will spend a total of 120 days in two selected consortium schools. These schools will provide you with a good contrast of experience and the opportunity to teach across the secondary age range.
- In placements you will be well supported by trained and experienced Subject Mentors, many of whom have worked with the scheme for a number of years, and a number who trained with the WMC Physical Education course.
- You will be taught by experienced teachers how to plan and deliver successful lessons, covering a range of teaching and learning strategies.
- During your teaching practice you will build a portfolio of evidence demonstrating your development as a teacher.
- You will follow a personalised programme of skills enhancement to ensure you have the fullest possible subject knowledge to enter the teaching profession.
- You will complete a number of written assignments reflecting different but important aspects of your knowledge of teaching and learning.
Benefits of training with the West Midlands Consortium
- We pride ourselves on being a small provider with a big reputation. As a WMC trainee you will be more than a number, you will be a valued member of a select cohort. You will receive one to one support from your course tutor and have good access to expert advice and guidance from the WMC team.
- Group sessions are held in a purposeful school environment, providing you with experience of school life from day one, whilst learning to teach.
- The course draws upon expertise from our partner schools to give you the most relevant knowledge and understanding of teaching in today's education system, as well as featuring guest speakers from pertinent external agencies and bodies.
- We have excellent retention, pass and employment figures due to a dedicated PGCE support network and strong regional reputation.
- The PGCE course is validated by our partner, Staffordshire University, and allows you to gain up to 90 Masters Credits as part of your training. You will also be registered as a Staffordshire University student, giving you access to online journals, support, and a full graduation ceremony.
How to apply