2 Courses Available
PGCE in English (School Direct)
Subject to confirmation of places by the DfE
The English PGCE programme has been developed as a School Direct (Training) course. Trainees follow a PGCE programme but are selected onto the course by a Partner School. This school hosts the trainee and will provide the largest proportion of the school-based experience. The course gives all the features of the standard WMC PGCE programmes with the added benefits of:
Our PGCE course will prepare you to teach English by introducing you to the skills, strategies and theory behind successful delivery of the subject. You will practise your skills in two of our consortium schools and be well supported throughout your training by experienced teachers.
All applications for the English PGCE (SD) must be made to the Lead School, Thomas Telford. If you have a preference for a particular Partner School to which you would like your application directed, please state this in your application or in an email to the WMC Administrator. If you have no preference, your application will be sent to all Partner Schools wishing to host an English PGCE (SD) student.
- Tuition sessions for the course are based at Thomas Telford School and High Arcal School, where you will cover topics in teaching English, practise your skills in English delivery and take part in group activities.
- You will spend a total of 120 days in two selected consortium schools, the majority of which will be in your host school. These schools will provide you with a good contrast of experience and the opportunity to teach across the secondary age range.
- You will be taught by experienced teachers how to plan and deliver successful lessons, covering a range of teaching and learning strategies.
- During your teaching practice you will build a portfolio of evidence demonstrating your development as a teacher.
- You will follow a personalised programme of skills enhancement to ensure you have the fullest possible subject knowledge to enter the teaching profession.
Benefits of training with the West Midlands Consortium
- We pride ourselves on being a small provider with a big reputation. As a WMC trainee you will be more than a number, you will be a valued member of a select cohort. You will receive one to one support from the course tutor and have good access to expert advice and guidance from the WMC team.
- Group sessions are held in schools, providing you with the experience of a school environment from day one.
- Thomas Telford School has been at the cutting edge of ICT delivery for many years and provides English trainees access to self-tuition resources and remote learning software to aid you in your development.
- You will have access to the latest technology to hone your teaching skills, such as hard-state video cameras, Apple Mac laptops, etc.
- The course draws upon expertise from Partner Schools within our consortium to give you the most relevant knowledge and understanding of teaching in today's education system, as well as featuring guest speakers from pertinent external agencies and bodies.
- We have outstanding retention, pass and employment figures due to a dedicated PGCE support network and strong regional reputation.
- The PGCE course is validated by Staffordshire University giving you the potential to gain up to 90 Masters Credits as part of your training. You will also be registered as a Staffordshire University student, giving you access to online journals, support, and a full graduation ceremony.
How to apply
English (School Direct Salaried)
Limited number of places available, please see School Direct Salaried section for more details